This Beginner's Views

Jack Trip was a project born in, and curated by, Stamford University, addressing a problem of latency in communications. Choirs and orchestras sing and play together, which translates technically as being within 25 millisecconds of each other. Unfortunately, PCs are quite bad at that kind of focus, being busy checking emails, anti-virus and a thousand and one other things not conduicive to togetherness. In addition, internet signals sometimes follow some rather extensive paths, adding to the delay, which in general terms is called latency.
For this reason, a fairly cheap alternative was designed based around a barebones microprocessor called the Raspberry Pi, connected to a sound card to interface with microphones upstream, and a central computer hub known as a server, downstream. A choir will have a Jacktrip box in each house, using the normal internet connections to communicate with the server. Radio communications with your internet hub are disparaged, because they’re so slow: you’re going to have to run a wire to the box.
The microprocessor’s code is transferred from a PC, and is stand-alone, it does what it’s supposed to and nothing else. No turning the kettle on remotely at half time! The Raspberry Pi hardware is in constant evolution, as is the software, and a number of alternative sound cards have to be provided for, so there is a certain degree of imprecision as a result.
That being said, the project recognises that singers aren’t interested in becoming coders, and so a prebuilt box is available. It’s also possible to assemble or build your own.

1 Like

I am brand new to this program, for that matter I’m brand new to online jamming, so forgive me if I ask simple questions. After researching possible online jamming systems, Jack trip seems to be favored in my thoughts because of the low to no latency idea. I created an account, but I don’t have the digital bridge yet, which I assume is a vital tool to have, plus picking a plan that requires a fee. then I believe I have to down load the app after that to get up and running, is there anything I’m missing? Does every one I invite to a created studio need a signed account, digital bridge, pay the fee to join the jam? if someone could share the path for me to get rolling, I would be great full. One more thing, does this system work well for long distances like over a thousand miles or more?

Hi!

Thanks for your good questions. It can be a bit confusing because there are so many ways to use JackTrip! I will try to cover each of your questions.

Think of the JackTrip hardware Bridge and the JackTrip Core software app as two different ways to connect as a client to a JackTrip server. One or the other, not both. A JackTrip server can be one that you set up with your own computer, or a cloud server like from AWS or Linode that you configure, or the simplest way, is to purchase a plan for a Virtual Studio on JackTrip.com

If you want to use your own network to host a JackTrip server, it will need enough bandwidth to host everyone connecting to it. If you use AWS or Linode, there is a fee. Both of these require you to set up and configure the server and your network and firewalls yourself.

The simplest way is to purchase a plan for a JackTrip Virtual Studio. Anyone running the JackTrip core software app on their own computer, or connecting with a JackTrip Bridge can access the Virtual Studio server (or any JackTrip server self-hosted, AWS, etc.)

As for the JackTrip Virtual Studio or any self-hosted JackTrip server, only the server owner pays the fees. The minutes are calculated by the number of connections on the server.

Ideally, in order to play in sync, under 500 miles is best, but this can change depending upon myriad of factors like network traffic and conditions, and equipment, even wiring and cables need to be carefully inspected and considered.

Find out more and do some clicking on the following links: JackTrip Virtual Studio | Pricing, and
help.jacktrip.org

Good luck and thanks again!
Synthia