Where is everyone?

This is such a huge leap for musicians everywhere, however when I log in to the broadcasts, there is never anyone there, or at least I can’t hear anyone there.

Is this generally still not adopted by the musicians community as an alternative to driving to the jam room?

Or am I totally missing something?

Ian

MacBook Pro 2021 M1 iOS running an M-Audio DAW

2 Likes

Hi Ian

Feel the same… Might be due to semi-steep learning curve to get it up and running. Just tried it now with a friend and we were on Zoom, which proved to be a challenge as the two programs appeared to be “fighting” over the driver, connecting disconnecting etc.

We then switched over to a WhatsApp call, got JackTrip working but had terrible feedback. Turns out it was because due to my friend not using headphones. Once that was sorted, we managed to hear each other, but there was a multiple repeat delay on either side… leaving then rejoining seemed to reduce this, but not entirely. Definitely low latency, relative to WhatApp call, where audio arrives almost a second after JackTrip, which is amazing.

In summary, it’s not just straight plug n play, there’s a fair amount of effort required to get it up and running successfully, but there’s huge potential.

What’s your experience?

2 Likes

Hello and Welcome to the Forum!

When you say “broadcasts”, do you mean the Broadcast feature? Or do you mean the Public servers? When you click on the Broadcast feature it simply creates a livestream of whatever is happening on the server where you clicked the Broadcast button. You will not “hear” anyone else if there is no one else playing on that server. If you want listeners on that livestream, you can share the URL provided after you click the broadcast button. You won’t be able to hear your listeners however.

However, if you mean the public servers, sometimes there are people playing and sometimes not. You might want to ask people to join you at a specific time.

Does this help understand it better?

Hi RichardB,

It sounds like you are on Windows? If so, you will need to go deep into the Advanced tab of the Windows sound control panel settings and disable “Exclusive Mode” for each device you are using - both ‘recording’ and ‘playback’.

Disabling this feature allows the sound devices to share across different apps, otherwise apps will attempt to gain exclusive control.

Also: if you are connecting more than one device to JackTrip, each device needs it’s own port number between 4464-4494. Go to the settings to change the port number.

One other thought is that although you might be able to connect over WIFI, JackTrip only functions properly at this time with a wired ethernet connection.

Does this help?

Hi Richard,

You can tell by my really quick reply (sarcasm) that I have had little to very success. Here is my quest
I have a high school reunion back in Toronto in September of 2023. Back in high school, I played in a band with a couple of guys and I thought it would be awesome to go there and play a set or two of cool '80s music. Everybody loves the idea…except I no live in Florida so…Let’s try out JackTrip…
So I am using an M-Audio M-Track Duo with a Mac. Two mics plugged in, one for amp, one for vocals. I fire up everything and it all connects great BUT I am getting .25 to .5 second latency with is completly useless to jam with. A) Not sure if the m-Audio device is crap ($70?) of my settings are off. My house internet is strong and I am getting over 450mbps+ down and 23mbps up however JackTrip Network is telling me that round trip is ‘Poor’.

Not really sure what I am suppose to do. He is a screen shot of my audio setup according to JackTrip

I would any devine intervention.

1 Like

Hey there, a few questions… are you in Chicago? That’s where the server is, so I hope so!

Are you connected directly to the router with an ethernet cable? Turn off your wifi to make sure it’s using the ethernet adapter if so.

In general, it’s going to be hard to connect with your bandmates across the country. Not impossible if you’re all on fiber internet and we get lucky with the internet routing (determined by ISPs at everyone’s home). But if you’re hundreds of miles apart it will probably be a stretch. The drummer will likely complain :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hiya @ianinnapa ianinnapa,

WELCOME back! I’m so glad to see your post. For one thing, Toronto is my favorite city that I have been to, and for another thing, you sound really excited about playing online with your former bandmates. Now down to business…

I see that you say you’re in Florida now and your band will be in Toronto. Your screenshot shows that you have created a cloud server based in Chicago (hence Andrew’s cheeky comment about hoping you are in Chicago.)

It is approximately 1400 miles straight North to Toronto from Florida. The band in Toronto will need to have a JackTrip client setup as well in order to play with you. AND they will need to be able to test with you. The same suggestions below for optimizing connection latency and sound quality apply to whomever you want to play with.

Kudos to Andrew for suggesting that you make sure to be on a wired ethernet connection by disabling WIFI, and also to see if you can get on a fiber connection. In addition, try to have JackTrip be the only connection on your network - like no gaming, startup apps running, or other apps and open tabs. Have a clean palette.

There is no cost for creating a server in different locations to experiment. For example, choose a server based in Florida and see what the latency is, or choose one half way between you and Toronto and both you and Toronto connect to it and see what the latency is like.

If you already have a paid account, make a separate free account to create servers in different locations for testing purposes. They will run for 30 minutes at a time. If you need more time when it runs out, start it again.

Finally, here’s the clencher: it will be highly unlikely to play with absolutely no latency. It is a matter of physics - speed of light and sound (on earth). So here’s one last suggestion: JAM!! Grateful Dead style - without a care in the world about who likes it or not.

Anyway, and I’m serious: I will go to Toronto and set up a JackTrip connection there to test with you. No, I really will. That’s how much I love Toronto and JackTrip!

It sounds like your problem is distance. Remember that Jacktrip will work best if you’re within 500 miles of the server you’re connecting to. So, FL to IL is not great.
Try to find a server that’s as close as possible to the halfway point between you and the bandmates.
Good luck!

1 Like