Bassist and Singers in Dubai

Hello, I am new here, my name is Pietro, I am from Italy but I live in Dubai, UAE.
I am a keyboardist, I play House, Dance, Jazz, Pop, Latin, and stuff like that…

I am looking for bassist or singers that want to jam online, just for fun.

I am trying to understand how to setup Jacktrip with a spare Raspberry Pi that I already have, but not sure I can connect my Roland OCTA Capture audio interface…

Trying to figure out the best setup because I integrate my keyboard through the audio interface with Ableton Live, if I connect the audio interface straight to the Raspberry PI I loose all the connectivity to Ableton and my MacBook…
Maybe I have to route the audio interface audio to the analog input in the Raspberry Pi ?

How is the latency by using the desktop version ? I still didn’t try it, but I was curious to know if the Raspberry Pi version really makes the difference in latency.

Regards,
Pietro

1 Like

Hello Pietro!

Thank you for posting your questions and requests. I love those genres you mentioned, and I would like to join you some time for an experiment. I am in California and because of the distance between us, and the expected delay in hearing one another, we will need to improvise rather than playing an existing piece of music. So, we can still play in a particular style like Jazz or Latin, but what we play and when we play it will be based upon when we hear what each other is playing. Does that make sense? Is it something you would be interested in?

Now regarding the Raspberry Pi: You’ll need a Raspberry Pi 4b, and flash an SD card with JackTrip. Here’s a link to set it up: https://help.jacktrip.org/hc/en-us/articles/1500009727561-Build-a-Raspberry-Pi-4B-Computer-with-JackTrip

The Pi version of JackTrip requires the USB interface input to run, so plug in your interface before powering up your Pi. Then if your keyboard has USB out - plug that into the computer, and run the analog out of the computer to the analog in of the interface.

Right now, I have my Pi connected to a Scarlett 2x2 via USB, and a LaunchPad connected via USB to the computer running Ableton. Then I have the computer analog out connected to the interface analog in. After I start a JackTrip Studio running on app.jacktrip.org, I connect my Pi to it via the web interface. It sounds good! Keep in mind that you won’t hear anything until you get the Pi connected to the Studio. The added latency is not too bad.

Regarding your audio interface, it is not on the list of tested interfaces, but I encourage you to try it. You could also look into one of the tested interfaces on the following link: https://help.jacktrip.org/hc/en-us/articles/360055205273-Tested-Audio-Interfaces-or-Sound-Cards

After you get the Pi set up and running connected your interface, created an account and register the Pi on app.jacktrip.org

JackTrip is a server-client architecture, and the Pi would be a client. So you can create a JackTrip Studio server on app.jacktrip.org, connect your Pi to it, and others can join you on that Studio server by connecting a JackTrip Bridge or using the IP address of the JackTrip Studio server. Or you can create a server on one of the cloud server providers like AWS or Linode, and then load it with JackTrip, which is certainly doable, but it is a lot of work and admin-ing.

In terms of the comparison between the desktop version and the Pi version of JackTrip, testing has revealed a noticeable reduction in latency. However, beyond 500 miles, the laws of physics take over and latency becomes unavoidable. The workaround to latency is to work it in!

I hope this info is helpful. Others are welcome to add to this conversation. Let’s keep it going.

Synthia

3 Likes

Hello Synthia,

thanks a lot for the detailed reply, I certainly would like to give it a try, I have a few questions though, when you are saying that you connect your computer analog out, do you mean you are using the onboard audio interface of your computer and you are connecting the stereo jack of your PC or MacBook to the Scarlett analog in ?

In this case I was thinking to maybe leave all my setup as it is and connect the analog out of my audio interface to another audio interface to go inside the PI, I actually have a cheap audio interface, a very simple one, now I will start digging in the boxes to find out…

I think I will need some time to set this all up, cause I can’t find the usb wireless dongle of the keyboard of the PI and stuff like this…

Anyway thanks a lot and I will advise when I am ready to give it a try.

Regards,
Pietro

1 Like

Excellent Pietro. Googling “time in Dubai”.

“do you mean you are using the onboard audio interface of your computer and you are connecting the stereo jack of your PC or MacBook to the Scarlett analog in ?”

precisely, the Launchpad, which could be any USB controller, is going into the a USB port on the computer. The computer is running Ableton and sends the analog sound out of the computer’s 1/8" headphone port to a 1/4" adapter that is plugged into one of the 1/4" inputs of the Scarlett.

Let me know if piggybacking the 2 audio interfaces works - there might be too much latency, but it’s worth a shot. Are you using your keyboard just to trigger sounds in Ableton? If so, my analog out of the computer to analog in of the Scarlett should work just fine.

• I can’t find the usb wireless dongle of the keyboard of the PI and stuff like this…*

It’s always something right? Well you’ve got all day right? :sweat_smile:

Standing by…let us know your questions.

synthia

1 Like

still trying to figure out how to get the PI started… in the mean time I have a question on the following product: hifiberry-digi-pro/

Is this an SPDIF input to the Raspberry PI ?
Does it work with the PI 4 Model B ?

My keyboard has a SPDIF output at 44.1Khz and I am trying not to use the analog output because it is full of HUM noise, this is why I am trying to stay digital.

Thanks in advance for your support.

Hi Pietro,

On the website for that product, it clearly says that it is not compatible with RPi 4.

Please contact HiFiBerry, or the vendor or manufacturer for more information about the compatibility of a particular product with the RPi 4b.

Thanks!
Synthia

Pietro,

I was thinking about the hum noise you mentioned having with analog out of your keyboard, and wondering if it could be a bad cable. Many times noise problems can be traced to cable malfunction. Also, sometimes dirt or dust in the ports can cause noise and need to be cleaned out. I have experienced this many times because I use some vintage gear that had to be cleaned in order to get a smooth connection and sound output. Hope this helps.

Hello Synthia

Thanks a lot.

My keyboard is not that old and was giving the hum even when it was brand new… Maybe it’s the cabling but I am pretty sure that the AC power has a lot to do with it.

I have to run a few tests

1 Like

spdif is a total mystery to me, so please report your findings, with pictures if possible. I’m guessing the keyboard won’t do 48khz? If it will, I think spdif does so it would be good to change it if you can. Sometimes a lower sample rate is useful when there is low bandwidth, but 48khz is JackTrip standard. I think spdif does 48khz too. I don’t have anything to do spdif with, so we’re really counting on you now!

Unfortunately my keyboard, the Yamaha Genos, is does only 44.1Khz on the Spdif output and it does not have an onboard audio interface… So it has always been a challenge to work with Ableton…

How I found a solution with the Roland octa capture with Spdif input I can have a digital clean signal in my DAW.

1 Like

Ok, thanks, so the issue is getting spdif out to a JackTrip device, and you would like it to be the spare Pi you have. I’m wondering if getting JackTrip up and running on your computer would help with your original post for players. I want to encourage you to have a solid rig to begin the process of finding people to play with - you can always work on setting up the Pi. The developers are in a rapid development phase again, and I would love to do some testing of the beta versions on my system.

You’re on mac right? I know a badass bassist in NYC who plays standup and LOVES to improvise. We can just jam and see what happens. I know I’m putting you on the spot! :giraffe: :cloud_with_lightning: :flashlight:

synthia