Single Sign On - SAML

Looking for the ability for our Students to be able to log directly into Jack Trip from their/our student accounts. Such that we did not have to send them away to join individually. Is there any such add-on or service ?

1 Like

pinging @miked about this: being able to access Virtual Studio from within Canvas or other single sign on system? Are there any such integration plans in the works?

We currently support a few different auth providers, including Google, which is what all the organizations my kids belong to (school/chorus/etc) use. I imagine everyone may use something different.

We have no plans at this time to add support for additional auth providers; however, open to more specific suggestions for the future.

1 Like

@hometeam looks like the big 4, Google, Facebook, Microsoft, Apple are your choices for now. What system are you using?

Ok, I see now you mentioned SAML, and just did a bit of reading about the difference between OAuth2, which is what JackTrip uses, SAML, and LDAP - whereas OAuth2 is only for authorization and not considered an SSO, “SAML is used for exchanging authentication and authorization data, particularly between identity providers and service providers”, and “LDAP is a method of authentication in which the protocol is authenticated by utilizing an application that assists in obtaining information from the server.”

Vastly different protocols for authorization and authentication, and likely require a lot more work to implement and maintain.

We provide students Microsoft 365 and our community website is a Wordpress site and all learners must be registered there. Ideally their member accounts based on role assignment would be the source for logging into Jack Trip

1 Like

ok, @hometeam, Thank you for your quick reply!

The Microsoft login should work! On the JackTrip login page, scroll down and tap “Continue with Microsoft.”

Please let us know if that worked for you!

Thanks!

+1 @Synthia Microsoft is already supported.

In addition to the current “big 4” authentication platforms that we currently support, here is a list of the ones we potentially could support if there was big enough demand.

Well that is exciting as all hell. In terms of additions I would think Word Press (which is on your list) is a real winner. Its immense capabilities lead to major brands like Sony, Walt Disney, MTV, BBC, and New Yorker all relying on their services. But it is also home to many bands, schools, and music services.

• 62% of the top 100 fastest growing companies in the US (Inc. 5000) use WordPress.
  • Over 500 new sites are created daily using the free version of WordPress.org
  • Seventy million new blog posts pop up every month.

+1 @hometeam

Agreed, I think Wordpress would be a very popular choice!

@hometeam that is a compelling argument. I just added Wordpress. Please give it a try and let me know how it goes!

1 Like

That is awesome. We are just getting started but as soon as we can we will get it tested and we will advise.

1 Like