JackTrip ported into DAW

I have been experimenting with using JackTrip to port the audio directly into and out of ProTools Studio using Audio Bridge which comes with ProTools.
Both parties have a 1 Gb fiber internet connection. Unlike when we record directly into JackTrip, the latency and audio degradation that we encounter when piping into ProTools makes the results unusable. Of course I know I can always record into JackTrip, then convert the flac to a wav file ready to be imported into ProTools. But this is a tedious and time consuming process I’d love to avoid. Have any other users encountered this issue and discovered a way to make the input from JackTrip record to ProTools without high latency and audio degradation?

1 Like

If I remember correctly, you are using the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2.

Are you using Windows or Mac?

After I know your OS, I can suggest and provide some guidance for a number of alternatives to using the ProTools Audio Bridge that might give you lower latency.

Thank you for your inquiry!

Hi Synthia,
Thanks for your quick response. I’m using a Mac Pro with a Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56. My singing partner is on Windows 11 using a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. We both have fiber internet connection.

1 Like

You are very welcome, @stevenhmark! I did a bit of research on the ProTools Audio Bridge, and it appears to be made by Dolby, and is a separate app that can be uninstalled, disabled or not selected in the interfaces. It seemed to get in the way of any other devices I tried, so I found a version of PT that does not use the Audio Bridge - ProTools First (now called “Intro”).

The problem, IMHO, with so-called low latency virtual audio loopback devices like this is that they are geared towards connecting apps that stay in your local network, whereas JackTrip sends and receives to and from the WAN, and the approach to latency issues can differ.

The good news is that with your Mac, you can either disable, uninstall, or even get a version of PT that does not use Dolby’s Audio Bridge, and use a low latency virtual audio loopback devices called, Blackhole, for free, or pay a fee for a different one called Loopback.

If you are going to do the recording on your Mac, you’re in luck. But if not, the bad news is that none of those is available for Windows.

For the low latency audio on Windows that JackTrip needs, you need an ASIO driver. I was able to get a free one called, ASIO4ALL (big headache) to work somewhat. There is another one called ReaRoute, a virtual audio device that comes with Reaper (free evaluation) that should work well, but PT insisted on opening ASIO4ALL instead of ReaRoute.

An additional note about using the same device for more than one app on Windows is to be sure an disable “Exclusive Mode” for the recording and playback tabs.

Anyway, maybe you will just do the recording on the Mac, and hopefully not have to deal with Windows. I am going to do some additional testing and research on this for Windows with different versions of PT to see if there is a better solution.

If I find something that works well, I will report back, and please let us know your progress.

Thanks for the tip! Fortunately I am doing all the recording on my Mac Pro. I’ll try using Black Hole and let you know how it goes.

1 Like