Looking for others to run jazz standards with - East USA

I’m an intermediate guitar player playing in a couple of small combos and a big band. The combos play mostly Real Book and other lead sheet tunes. The Big Band plays fully scored swing charts and similar stuff. I’m looking for others, any instrument, to run through jazz standards, practice improv, etc. Ideally, I’d like to set up a once-a-week session. I’m in Vermont. Thanks!

1 Like

Ohio-based trombonist. May be too far, but worth trying. Not particularly skilled at improv, but willing to give it a go. once/week sounds good, and I’m happy to go half-zies on the minutes. Let me know. Today is my first day on jacktrip.

1 Like

Hi Ricardo

Yes, might be worth a try. I’ve used JT for a year or so. Have you used it before?
Maybe we could have a go this weekend? Saturday afternoon?

Rollin

Rollin,

Saturday afternoon sounds great. Let’s shoot for 2 o’clock eastern. I’m in Ohio, so we may be too far away, latency-wise.

This will be my first go on Jacktrip.

Thanks for reaching out.

Riccardo.

Riccardo
OK, I think that will work. I’ll come back to you if not - I might need to go slightly later.
I’ve found it works best to have a video conference running while you set up so you can iron out difficulties together before you get on JT.
I can send an invite to you. What email should I use for the video conference?
And what is your JT user name so I can invite you to my studio?

Rollin

Hi - I’m a singer. I know a lot of jazz standards. I’m a tenor. I also love to improvise. Let me know if you’re interested. I’m in California.

1 Like

Maybe we can duet together!

Synthia

Yes, maybe.
Where are you located? I’m in Vermont.
What do you play?

Rollin

1 Like

@all_thumbs_jazz I should have tagged @joelginsberg in California - that’s where I am. I play synths and sing. Looks like we’ve joined your East Coast post!

I think that the distance between the East and West coasts probably will not work for playing existing repertoire so might be fun to improvise and incorporate the lag!

OK - let’s leave it then.
I’m looking for playing live together with folks.
Rollin

1 Like

I, too, play guitar and am in Atlanta, GA and also working on learning and running thru standards.

1 Like

Welcome @ron_askew - there are a two other East Coast people on this thread who might be interested in jamming with you on standards. That’s quite a bit of distance but who knows, never hurts to experiment.

Looks like @all_thumbs_jazz in Vermont is around 1,200 miles from you in Atlanta so that might be too much distance.

Looks like trombonist @riccardo in Ohio is around 600 miles from Atlanta so that might be a good place to start.

I’m a drummer from the west coast. Newbie to the platform so from just looking at the replies I’m probably too far.

1 Like

Welcome @ka_drums! Thank you for letting us know what region you are in. You have a good point about the distance between east and west coasts. You could write a brand new post in this category to let Westies know you want to jam. In fact, I will create posts for some of the regions where we have JackTrip servers and then maybe there will be some replies there.

Otherwise, if you like, I play synthesizer and sing and would love to help you get some experience. Please email me at synthia@synthiapayne.com to schedule. Cheers!

I am a jazz pianist in Oklahoma City. I have all 3 Real Books. It may be too far, but I’d like to connect. Let me know if you’re interested.

1 Like

I love your willingness to experiment with the distances. Please keep us posted!

1 Like

Hi there

I’d love to give it a go, but unfortunately I broke my wrist two weeks ago and am now in a cast for the next 6 weeks. So, obviously not able to play guitar. Why don’t we try again in a couple of months.

Rollin

1 Like

Take good care of your wrist @all_thumbs_jazz ! See you in the Springtime!

Hi Rollin,
I’m so sorry that you broke your wrist! Heal well and reach out when you are ready to play.

Where are you located?
Best regards,
Louise

1 Like

Hi Louise

I’m in Vermont.
I’ll give you a shout in a couple of months.

Rollin

1 Like