SoCal JackTrippers

Great! I’m looking forward to meeting you and seeing @pbianculli again!

Please watch for a personal message here just before 7:30 pm on Wednesday.

Thanks and have a great day!

Folks reading this thread might be thinking why I am posting our communications rather than personal messaging. It is to show a line of communication to others who might not know how to get started or what to say.

Hth those potential future Jacktrippers.

1 Like

I might need some guidance to start my first jam. I had low latency with JamKazaam but seem to be running high on JT.

How did you determine the latency on JT? Did you connect with anyone? If
you want we can meet on Zoom first and look at your settings before
connecting on JT.

I sent you an invite - I’ll be on for another 10 minutes if you want to
jump on I can point to a few things you can try.

You can set your server buffer to 64, and then fine tune with the Net
Queue and Queue Strategy under Advanced Audio Settings.

I wonder why your post clocked in 7 hours ahead? Are you not in SoCal?

I’ll check out your settings. Yes I’m in socal. Looks like there are some suggested test servers?

Yes. Let’s do a zoom in advance. Don’t want to be messing around with settings when it is jamming time. Thank you!

I am sorry but I’m wrapping a project on Friday and got called for
double duty tomorrow, so let’s postpone. Thanks for diving into
preparation getting on JT, measuring and comparing the latency, and want
to try to reduce it. See if my suggestions help and please post results.

This will give us time to discuss repertoire as well. What have you
thought about doing content wise? Did you listen to the piece I suggested?

I am looking forward to learning more about your musical experience and
pursuits, and see where we go. I am glad you’re here and looking forward
to a potential collab.

No worries. Do a good job for your project.

I’ll play with the settings again tonight. I recall any of the other peer-to-peer jams were also hard to set up.

I did listen to the piece. Not sure if I got the correct link. It was a song with sitar and whimsical vocals? I have not played sitar before.

I find songs that have different styles to gain music knowledge. Here are some examples
Bossa Nova (guitar) https://youtu.be/KvQrznJE18c?si=ECHHJhNyfMkHdrxD
Classical Gas
Roundabout
Tons of pop jams

Various Tunes just for the sake of learning them (some examples)
November Rain (piano)
Autumn Leaves (jazz standard piano)
Jump (synth)
Elton John
Santana (organ)

Willing to learn just about anything except classical since I’m a slow site reader.

1 Like

Hi RN. My idea of a classical guitar ensemble is not just for performance but also for reading practice. I have tons of music that is quite simple to play and nice sounding.
If you might be interested in reading on JT let me know. Happy to set up one session to try it out.
Pat

1 Like

Hi Pat,
In my post I was thinking of classical piano. Classical guitar sounds fun too. For the ensemble I assume you have score that is multi-stave? Is it lessons you are offering or is this a jam?
Ross

Hi Ross,
This ensemble will be only classical guitars. I am trying to get some interest in the guitar community to become more expert sight readers. We are all the worst, as we don’t have the opportunities that orchestral musicians have playing in small and large ensembles, nor pianists who are trained from the start to read two clefs.
I do use JT for my guitar lessons, and it works amazingly well. But this is a reading/performing ensemble. I want it to be a musical experience for all of us. Thanks for writing back. Here is a flyer that gives more detail.Guitar Ensemble Poster

1 Like

I’m interested. Classical guitar sounds lovely. I have a nice Cordova.

I will get back to you as soon as I have some information, Ross.
Pat

ha! yes, you had the correct link for GEORGE HARRISON’S The Inner Light. Yes, that George. I sang it to my stepmom in the hospital just weeks before she passed. “Spooky”, she said. Yes, and so is this moment.

my vision is that fingerstyle guitar duet with @pbianculli could be magic. I will come up with a harmonium sample as well as the traditional Indian instrumental sound in the beginning, and vocals. Do you sing, Ross? If not, no worries. I love to sing.

the genres you noted above are in my top 10!
how about a super slow bossa? Love that S’Wonderful. Like (It would be) S’Wonderful.
I am listening to it as I write - the song that came up after it is a good one too.
samba de verao - nossa alma canta trio - YouTube

I would Santana songs in a heartbeat - “Smooth” and “She’s Not There” are classics.

Songs from the Great American Songbook (standards): you mention of Autumn Leaves is a good one. Also, Midnight Sun, Round Midnight, and many others that sang on a project last year.

A cover of Jump would be a Classical Gas for sure! Yes, Yes, Yes - Roundabout by Yes too.

I can relate to the sightreading phenom - the only reason I did not become an opera singer is because sightreading is my cryptonite - I want it but it kills me.

It would be great if we could exchange recordings and see what each other has in mind.

1 Like